Mungret St. Pauls 6-8 Galtee Gaels 3-2

On a nice evening in Mungret on Monday 17 June our U-13 players took to the pitch to play Galtee Gaels in their last game of the . This was a great game boost for our players as they prepare themselves for their own championship. They presented a lovely performance of skill and determination which was reflected in the score by the end of the game. They finished off in third place in their division 3 group in the U-14 championship. We look forward to seeing most of this team out again for their own U-13 championship.


Mungret St. Pauls 2-17 Dromin Athlacca 3-16

Tuesday 18 June in Mungret a depleted Limerick Motor Centre sponsored Premier Intermediate hurling team lined out against Dromin Athlacca. Mungret St. Pauls were well down on starting players due to Limerick commitments. The players who took to the pitch put in a great game but were unfortunate to not win.

The match looked even as the first 4 points were shared between them until Mungret St. Pauls pulled ahead scoring points from 3 of their 6 chances. The next points went to each team again before it was Dromin Athlaccas turn to put the pressure on with a ball splitting the uprights the other ball was expertly planted into the net to give them a one point lead. Mungret St. Pauls went to score their own goal but the Dromin Athlacca goalie saved the shot, not to be discouraged we tried again and on the 22nd minute of the game we succeeded with our own goal bringing us back into the lead. Another point a piece and with plenty of action at both ends of the pitch Dromin Athlacca were the more precise and leveled the game with 5 minutes of the first half left. Another matching point each and a last minute free gave Mungret St. Pauls a one point lead at half time.

There was a lot of excitement in the first 5 minutes of the restart as Mungret St. Pauls scored 2 points, Dromin Athlacca scored 3 to draw the game but then found themselves down to 14 men. The game was ticking over with Dromin Athlacca getting the sliotar as far as our goalie each side equaling their points. With 1-14 each on the board Domin Athlacca saw a loop hole and got the ball past the backs and scored their second goal. Both sides scored another point each. Mungret St. Pauls with fresh legs on the pitch scored the next 2 points with them one point behind. Dromin Athlacca hit hard and scored their third goal of the game and last point, this left Mungret St. Pauls with their biggest gap in score all game being 5 points behind. The last play was in the Dromin Athlacca defenses with Mungret St. Pauls scrambling for goals or any score they could get a free from the 21 was given infront of the goal, Dromin Athlacca put a their bodies on the goal line but the best goal of the game was struck past all the bodies and hurleys, the only thing that stopped the ball was the net. Another goal was needed but time ran out, Mungret St. Pauls play again on Saturday 22 June at 7.30pm in Knockainey.


Mungret St. Pauls 1-9 Monaleen 0-5

On Wednesday 19 June in Mungret our U-14 hurlers had a strong game against Monaleen. They were excellent in their scoring and pulled in tight in their defense. This was the last match for the U-14 hurlers in the group. Monaleen topped the group while Mungret St. Pauls placed forth on scoring difference, we wait to see who Mungret St. Pauls play next.

Mungret St. Pauls 0-18 Knockainey 0-18

Saturday 22 June in Knockainey a different Premier Intermediate hurling team fielded against Knockainey. This was a very cold and windy day in a very evenly matched game. Mungret St. Pauls went in at the break with a one point lead.

Mungret St. Pauls were first to open the score but Knockainey opened their score with 4 points on the hop. Mungret St. Pauls replied with 2 more points while Knockainey laid up another 2 points leaving the score 3 points to 6. There were another 3 points from the field for Mungret St. Pauls. Knockainey split the uprights 5 more times before the half time but Mungret St. Pauls finished strong scoring 6 points and taking a one point lead into the break.

When they returned to the field Knockainey did not mess around and took all the action with 7 chances on scoring they were on target with 3 of them. It took Mungret St. Pauls 13 minutes to get going and scored 2 points in quick succession, bringing the game to a draw, each side exchanged points another 4 times to finish off the game with a draw.


Mungret St. Pauls 4-13 Oola 3-3

In Mick Neville Park in wintry miserable weather where the rain just got worse as the game progressed on Sunday 23 June our U-14 footballers played Oola in the Shield Final, it was a great game of skill and determination.

Mungret St. Pauls were playing into the strong wind in the first half and started very strong with a striking goal, Oola replied with a point. Mungret St. Pauls split the uprights 3 more times before Oola attacked our backs and after a scramble at the goal mouth the ball was seen going into the back of the net. Mungret St. Pauls went straight up the the other end but failed to convert a score, they did keep the ball in that end of the pitch for a good while and eventually from a free the ball was kicked to a Mungret St. Pauls player standing in the right place and the ball was sent to the back of the net. This is where the first half ended, Mungret St. Pauls 2-3 Oola 1-1.

The second half Mungret St. Pauls pulled out all the stops and from the restart were putting the Oola backs under pressure scoring a point and then with another kick of the ball secured their third goal, this was followed up with another 2 points. Oola did not let the score beat them, they pointed from a free, Mungret St. Pauls pointed another 3 points and finished it off with their last goal. Oola went straight back up to the Mungret St. Pauls goals and struck 2 balls into the back of our net with in minutes, this refreshed the Oola team but also brought Mungret St. Pauls back to finish off their score with another 4 points. In the last minutes of the game there was a penalty awarded to Mungret St. Pauls just as Oola had replaced their goalie, all eyes were on the goals, the ball was struck toward the left corner but the quick movement of the goalie sent the ball out to be cleared, there was a great cheer from the Oola subs bench and from all the supporters at the match for this fantastic way to end the game for Mungret St. Pauls who did not need the goal and to Oola who could talk about their players great action in goals.

The shield was awarded to the Mungret St. Pauls Captain, Cian Maloney.

Image may contain: 19 people, people smiling, sky and outdoor