SENIOR HURLERS: Patrickswell relinquished the Daly Cup after losing to Na Piarsaigh in the championship semi-final. The Caherdavin men started the match at a fast pace and registered two points within the opening minute. Patrickswell had equalised by the third minute after Aaron Gillane and Kevin O’Brien struck points. The scoring rate was intense in the first quarter of the match. Will Henn restored Na Piarsaigh’s lead, but Aaron Gillane cancelled the deficit almost immediately. Our opponents experienced a purple patch in which they scored four points in two minutes. Aaron Gillane and John Flynn were forced to intervene with a point apiece. Remarkably, the score was 0-7 to 0-5 after ten minutes. Thomas Grimes put the Light Blues three points ahead, but Aaron Gillane and Cian Lynch trimmed the deficit to a single point at 0-8 to 0-7 by the water break. The scoring rate reduced considerably in the latter stages of the first half. Will Henn and Aaron Gillane exchanged points before Na Piarsaigh scored a fresh point and moved 0-10 to 0-8 ahead in the 25th minute. Once again, Henn and Aaron Gillane both scored a point each as the first half entered injury time. Na Piarsaigh claimed three consecutive points and Patrickswell’s cause was hampered by the dismissal of Seanie O’Brien for a second yellow card. The half-time score was 0-14 to 0-9 against Ciaran Carey’s men.
Despite having fourteen players, Patrickswell were on the offensive at the beginning of the second half. Cian Lynch scored on both sides of a Diarmaid Byrnes point to slash the deficit to 0-14 to 0-12. Unfortunately, Na Piarsaigh claimed a devastating goal that neutralised the Patrickswell comeback. Another point from the Caherdavin men was countered by a pair of points from Aaron Gillane and Diarmaid Byrnes. At the 40th minute mark, the ‘Well trailed by 1-15 to 0-14. Na Piarsaigh accrued another two points before Jason Gillane’s free slowed them down. It was proving difficult to eat into the arrears as Patrickswell were kept at arm’s length. Na Piarsaigh increased their lead to six points; however Jason Gillane and Diarmaid Byrnes were on hand to cut the margin to four points at 1-18 to 0-17. In the 52nd minute, the ‘Well had a good chance of overhauling their opponents. Sadly, Na Piarsaigh were ruthless with their possession and notched seven unanswered points in the last eight minutes to cement a 1-25 to 0-17 win. Hard luck to the players and management.
JUNIOR A HURLERS: The Junior A hurlers reached the County quarter-final by virtue of beating Old Christians and another match working in their favour. Barry Foley opened the scoring for Patrickswell with a point, but Old Christians replied with two points in quick succession. The match ended as a contest when the ‘Well plundered 3-3 without reply in a furious four minute spell. The goals were scored by Jonathan McMahon, Brian Fitzgerald and Pa Mann, while Barry Foley claimed two points and Cian Enright scored from a free. The scoreline after ten minutes was 3-4 to 0-2. Over the following ten minutes, Paul O’Brien scored two points around an Old Christians point. Barry Foley’s hard work was rewarded by a goal. The frantic pace slowed for the closing stages of the first half. Old Christians accumulated another three points, while Patrickswell bagged four points from Cian Enright (0-2), Barry Foley and Brian Fitzgerald. The half-time score was 4-10 to 0-6 in favour of Pa Dundon’s men.
There was no let-up in the second half. Darragh Ahern’s point was quickly cancelled out, but Shane Hannon immediately delivered a fifth goal. Barry Foley scored another point that was sandwiched between two Old Christians points. In the 35th minute, Patrickswell led by 5-12 to 0-9. In the space of four minutes, Paul O’Brien helped himself to two goals and Cian Enright recorded another free. There were twenty minutes left on the clock and Patrickswell were cruising at 7-13 to 0-9. The tempo of the match dropped off dramatically, witnessed by the teams only hitting two points apiece in twenty minutes of play. By the 60th minute, the Patrickswell lead was 7-15 to 0-11. During injury time, Shane Hannon hit the eighth goal of the encounter and Cian Enright bagged another free. The result was a comprehensive 8-16 to 0-13 win. Kilteely Dromkeen’s defeat to Croagh-Kilfinny edged the ‘Well into a county quarter-final. Patrickswell will face Castletown Ballyagran on Sunday September 20 at 12 noon in Adare.
CLUB LOTTO: The Club Lotto was not won on Monday September 7. The drawn numbers were 11, 16, 18 and 25. The Bonus Number was 13. The Lucky Dip winners were €100 for Brid Collins and €20 each for Jerry Daly, Betty Lordan, Marie McDermott, Jack Hall and Kathleen Moore. The jackpot on Monday September 14 is €5,400.