SENIOR HURLERS: All roads lead to the LIT Gaelic Grounds as Patrickswell face Na Piarsaigh in the Senior Championship final on Sunday October 6 at 3.30pm. Your support is much appreciated. Best wishes to the players and management.

JUNIOR A HURLERS: It was a week of mixed fortunes for the Junior A hurlers. In the City Championship in Rhebogue, Patrickswell faced a tough Claughaun side. Claughaun opened the scoring in the opening minutes before Peter Harty restored parity. The match sparked to life when Claughaun struck the back of the net. However, Anthony Carmody’s men did not panic and set about closing the gap. Three of the next four points were from the ‘Well (Darragh Ahern 0-2 and Barry Foley). At this point, our opponents held a 1-2 to 0-4 lead. After 20 minutes, Darragh Ahern lost his marker and scored a goal with great composure. Claughaun replied with a point, but Owen McNamara and Peter Harty established a three-point buffer. The final score of the first half was a point from Claughaun. Patrickswell led 1-6 to 1-4 at the interval.

The second half began at a ferocious pace as Claughaun’s second goal was cancelled out by Peter Harty’s strike. The Childers Road side then rattled three consecutive points to take the lead at 2-7 to 2-6. Barry Foley’s goal and Peter Harty’s point appeared to be decisive as the ‘Well led by three points with ten minutes to go. Claughaun scored a point, but Barry Foley matched it. There were five minutes left and the score was 3-8 to 2-8. When Claughaun moved to within two points, it still appeared that Patrickswell could weather the storm. In the opening part of injury time, Claughaun worked a goal and stunned the ‘Well. The clock was ticking and a point was required. Deep into injury time, Peter Harty was given a final chance to equalise. He made no mistake and the match was drawn.

Less than 48 hours later, Patrickswell faced Killeedy in the County quarter-final, held in atrocious weather conditions. It took eight minutes for Darragh Ahern to register the first point and he followed with a goal. Killeedy replied with three points before Barry Foley stopped their charge. After fifteen minutes, the scoreboard was 1-2 to 0-3. Killeedy produced another trio of unanswered points before Peter Harty stepped in with a point. There was five minutes left in the first half and the sides were level at 1-3 to 0-6. Our opponents were managing better on the slippery pitch and notched a goal and point before the half-time whistle. The scoreline was 1-7 to 1-3 in arrears at the break.

There was no let-up at the start of the second half. Killeedy scooped another three straight points to build a sizeable seven-point lead at 1-10 to 1-3. Jonathan McMahon’s point was cancelled out, but the game sprang to life again with Darragh Ahern’s second goal. There was still 15 minutes and Patrickswell trailed by four points. The rate of scoring dropped and Peter Harty’s point was responded to. The final score was a reverse of 1-12 to 2-5. Hard luck to the players and management.

CLUB LOTTO: Lotto results for the week ending Monday September 23 were as follows. The numbers drawn were 2, 22, 28 and 30. The Bonus was 32. The Lucky Dips were €100 for Fiona Carmody, €50 for Eileen O’Dwyer and €20 each for Patricia Carroll, Noel & Marie Gavin, Patricia O’Regan, David Mann and Liam & Marie Carroll. The next draw on Monday September 30 will be held in Punch’s Bar. The jackpot is €3,400.