SENIOR HURLERS: The Senior hurlers registered their first victory of the City Hurling League with a comprehensive away victory over Kildimo-Pallaskenry. Seanie O’Brien and Darragh Ahern put the ‘Well two points ahead within five minutes, but the hosts took the lead with three consecutive points by the 15th minute. While Jamie Dillon managed to equalise with a point, Kildimo-Pallaskenry edged ahead immediately by 0-4 to 0-3. Kevin O’Brien’s clever sidestep around his marker allowed him to score Patrickswell’s first goal and Eoin Harmon chipped in with a follow-up point. The scoreline was 1-4 to 0-4 and this prompted a response of two points from the hosts. The match was ultimately decided by a lethal spell of Patrickswell scoring that yielded seven unanswered points in eight minutes (John Kirby 0-3, Calvin Carroll 0-2, Kevin O’Brien and Cian Fitzgerald). Kildimo-Pallaskenry halted the spree with the last point of the first half. The interval scoreline was 1-11 to 0-7.
The second half began with another spell of dominance from Patrickswell. Five straight points before the 45th minute from Darragh Ahern 0-2, Kevin O’Brien, Calvin Carroll and Seanie O’Brien cemented an unassailable 1-16 to 0-7 lead. Kildimo-Pallaskenry’s eighth and ninth points were sandwiched between a Calvin Carroll goal and a John Kirby point. The 50th minute score was 2-17 to 0-9. There was plenty more attacking prowess by Patrickswell as three late points put the gloss on a 2-20 to 0-10 victory.
INTERMEDIATE HURLERS: Patrickswell produced a remarkable comeback against Ballybricken-Bohemore, but fell one point short at the end of the match. The opening ten minutes were keenly contested as both teams accrued three points apiece (Cian Enright and Peter Harty 0-2). Our hosts notched two points in six minutes to build a 0-5 to 0-3 lead before Peter Harty stopped the surge. Patrickswell came unstuck to Ballybricken-Bohemore’s opening goal and the 20th minute saw the visitors 1-6 to 0-6 behind. Unfortunately, the hosts began to dominate and accumulated six unanswered points in a critical eight-minute window before half-time. At the break, the ‘Well faced an uphill battle to overturn nine points at 1-12 to 0-6.
The hosts claimed the first point of the second half, before Peter Harty reduced the deficit to eight points with a brace of points. The game seemed beyond Patrickswell when the second home goal established a eleven-point lead by 40 minutes. The ‘Well did not lose hope and four points in five minutes from Peter Harty (0-2), Darragh Ahern and Jonathan McMahon trimmed the arrears to seven points with fifteen minutes left. The fixture looked decided when the hosts scored a goal to lead by 3-13 to 0-12 with just ten minutes left. Remarkably, an own goal in Patrickswell’s favour was followed by a Darragh Ahern point and a Sam McNamara goal to stun the home team. Suddenly, there were five minutes left and Patrickswell trailed by a single goal at 3-13 to 2-13. The hosts managed to stop the onslaught and two insurance points granted them a 3-15 to 2-13 margin as the game entered injury time. Aaron Carmody’s late third goal was immediately followed by David Woulfe’s point and there was still time remaining at 3-15 to 3-14. The ‘Well pressed forward for their equaliser, but the clock and the opposition defence worked against them. Ballybricken-Bohermore survived the fightback and sneaked a one-point win.
JUNIOR B HURLERS: The Junior B hurlers visited Fedamore on a breezy night and found themselves six points down after 15 minutes due to the stiff breeze. Patrickswell’s first point came in the 23rd minute and they managed to force themselves into contention by reaching half-time at 0-7 to 0-3 behind.
The wind abated at the start of the second half, which diminished Patrickswell’s advantage. While the ‘Well scored the first point of the second half, they were undone by a Fedamore goal and two points. By the 45th minute, Patrickswell were 1-9 to 0-4 behind. Fedamore did not manage any more points, while Patrickswell struck five points in eighteen minutes to narrow the gap to 1-9 to 0-9. There was insufficient time for a grandstand finale and the final goal chance did not materialise.
MEMBERSHIP: Club membership is now due for 2022. Every player, both adult and youth, must be a registered member to train and play for the club. It is mandatory for insurance purposes. Non-playing members are also invited to renew. You can pay your membership fee online at or The most common types are Adult €60, Juvenile €40 and Family €120. There will also be in-person membership clinics.
CLUB LOTTO: The Club Lotto draw on Monday April 4 was not won. The numbers drawn were 10, 22, 23 and 31. The bonus number was 16. The €100 Lucky Dip was won by Eileen Casey and the €20 prizes were claimed by John Quinn, Ann Garrett, Gerry Ryan, Christopher Moore and Emma McNamara. This week’s jackpot is €13,800.