ATHEA GAA CLUB NOTES
Be a Hero, Run with us to Zero
The coming week will be a busy and exciting week for Athea GAA as we kick off our fundraising initiatives to reduce our loan balance and also to raise funds to allow us to lay a permanent tarmacadam surface on our walking track. Our aim is to raise €60,000 to achieve these objectives over the coming months. A graphic has now been designed which will be displayed at Páirc na nGael demonstrating our progress.
We have had a fantastic response to our call for people to sign up to walking/running 5K (7 laps of the track) over this weekend to help us make up the distance to Croke Park. The enthusiasm shown has been so great, we will now be covering the distance from Athea to Croke Park, and home again totalling 520km! Well over 100 people are now signed up, with just 8 time slots remaining. Please contact 083 1400293 ASAP to secure your slot. All participants will be asked to do the following:
1. Arrive at the track at your allocated time – a member of Athea GAA will be at the club house to get you signed in
2. Complete 7 laps of the Track – 5KM
3. On your final lap,we ask you to take a selfie at our ‘Selfie Stand’ and to post on social media using the #atheatocrokepark and by sharing the gofundme link – https://www.gofundme.com/f/be-a-hero-get-us-to-zero encouraging friends and family to donate and sponsor your walk.
4. A complementary take away tea & coffee will also be provided on completion of your 5K
5. We ask everyone to please respect and adhere to Covid 19 Social Distancing Guidelines.
Anyone who is not available to take part in the fundraiser over the weekend can donate by following the gofundme link above.
Name our Heros
From over a hundred entries received to name our heroes, an independent judge has narrowed down the suggested names to 5 names per hero. We are now calling on the public to have their say by casting your vote by visiting our facebook page and clicking on the survey link and choosing your favourite name. The winning names will be announced this weekend to coincide with the Athea to Croke Park Walk. Suggested names for Hero 1 Include – ‘Mia the Mighty’, ‘Mighty Maroon’, ‘Mary Heart’, ‘Kate the Great’, & ‘Sunny the Superhero’. Names for Hero 2 include; ‘Henry the Hero’, ‘Captain Gale’, ‘Mr Hurley’, ‘Jim Hurl’ and ‘Brace Ben’.