SENIOR HURLERS: Patrickswell will face Na Piarsaigh in a mouth-watering County Championship semi-final at the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday September 12 at 7.30pm. Unfortunately, the match is behind closed doors but it can be viewed on Limerick GAA TV and followed through social media.
JUNIOR A HURLERS: The Junior A hurlers claimed an important victory in the fourth match of the County Championship against Mungret. Brian Fitzgerald’s free opened the scoring for Patrickswell in the second minute before Mungret responded in kind. Barry Foley was very accurate with his free-taking and he was rewarded with three points to build a 0-4 to 0-2 advantage by the water break. Brian Fitzgerald’s goal in the 22nd minute lifted Patrickswell and Jamie Dillon chipped in with another point. The signs were positive in the 25th minute, with Pa Dundon’s men ahead by 1-5 to 0-2. Mungret were in no mood to lie down and they responded with four consecutive points to slash the deficit to two points at 1-5 to 0-6. Barry Foley ended the Mungret surge with two quickfire points, although our neighbours scored the last point of the first half. The scoreboard displayed 1-7 to 0-7 at the interval.
While Mungret struck the first point of the second half, Shane Hannon stunned our opponents with a 32nd minute goal. Jonathan McMahon added another point and Patricskwell built a two-goal lead at 2-8 to 0-8. The next ten minutes were competitive and cagey, illustrated by two Mungret points and no scores from the ‘Well. The tables were turned in the subsequent ten minutes as Patrickswell notched two points and Mungret could not manage any score. By the 55th minute, we were 2-10 to 0-10 ahead. Mungret returned to the scoreboard with one point, but Jamie Dillon and Shane Hannon produced the last two points to cap a 2-12 to 0-11 win. The Junior A hurlers are scheduled to play Old Christians on Sunday September 13 at 5pm in Caherdavin.
UNDER 14 HURLERS: The U-14 hurlers gave a spirited display in the County Championship Final against Killeedy-Tournafulla. The first half was dominated by Patrickswell, but a second half resurgence by our opponents proved too much. Patrickswell netted a goal within fifty seconds of the whistle. Killeedy-Tournafulla responded with a point that Patrickswell ultimately cancelled out, before they recorded three unanswered points. The scoreline after ten minutes was level at 1-1 to 0-4. The remainder of the first half belonged to Dessie Foley’s boys, accruing another goal and four points without response. The half-time score was 2-5 to 0-4.
Killeedy-Tournafulla emerged for the second half with conviction. They began to dominate proceedings and rattled the ‘Well by scoring 1-6 without reply. Patrickswell were now trailing by two points at 1-10 to 2-5 with fifteen minutes left. Our boys managed to register one point, although the response was a flurry of three points on the trot. Patrickswell needed to overturn a four-point deficit at 1-13 to 2-6 with ten minutes left. There was adequate time and another ‘Well point provided hope. Unfortunately, Killeedy-Tournafulla were too strong and they closed out the match with a spell of 1-3 without reply. The final result was 2-16 to 2-7. Hard luck to all the players and management.
CLUB LOTTO: The Club Lotto was not won on Monday August 31. The drawn numbers were 4, 6, 17 and 32. The Bonus Number was 9. The Lucky Dip winners were €100 for Leona Kelly and €20 each for Lorraine O’Neill, Jenny McGrath, Mary Kenny, Snekha Kumar and Maire Kenny. The jackpot on Monday September 7 is €5,200.