JUNIOR A HURLERS: Patrickswell suffered their first defeat of the season in the County League semi-final against Feenagh Kilmeedy. The opening exchanges were keenly contested as Peter Harty and Gavin Carey kept the score at 0-2 apiece. Our opponents crept ahead by 0-5 to 0-2 after scoring three consecutive points. Peter Harty (0-2), Paul Bennis, Jonathan McMahon and Cillian O’Reilly contributed five more points to trail by just 0-8 to 0-7 after 25 minutes. The ‘Well took the lead for the first time when Aaron Carmody struck the net before the interval. Feenagh Kilmeedy were able to score two more points to ensure the teams were level at 1-7 to 0-10 at the break.

Feenagh Kilmeedy were dominant at the start of the second half. They scored two quick points before Peter Harty replied with a point. In the next five minutes, our opponents secured five unanswered points to lead by 0-17 to 1-8. Patrickswell fought back with a trio of points from Peter Harty (0-2) and Jamie Dillon. The deficit was now three points at 0-17 to 1-11. While Feenagh Kilmeedy nudged ahead by four points, Cian Enright and Cillian O’Reilly (0-2) slashed the deficit to a single point. Unfortunately Feenagh Kilmeedy remained composed and closed the match with three straight points. The final result was a 1-14 to 0-21 reverse.

The next match is a City Championship meeting with Crecora, provisionally for Wednesday July 10 at 7.30pm in Ballybrown.

MINOR HURLERS: The Minor hurlers returned to action with an exciting and high-scoring victory over Kilpeacon at home. Kilpeacon’s first two points were cancelled out by Sam McNamara and Patrick Kirby. The visitors then rattled off three points to lead by 0-5 to 0-2. Eoin Harmon contributed a point and Patrick Kirby racked up six points as the ‘Well edged ahead by 0-9 to 0-8 after twenty minutes. Shane Hannon’s point extended the lead, but Kilpeacon equalised at 0-10 apiece. Patrick Kirby put his stamp on the final stages of the first half with another five points just after Josh Carey scored. The half-time scoreline was 0-16 to 0-13 in favour of the ‘Well.

Patrick Kirby’s continued accuracy added three points at the start of the second half. Patrickswell were looking very strong at 0-19 to 0-14. Kilpeacon stormed back into the match when a goal and point trimmed the arrears to a single score (0-19 to 1-15). Patrick Kirby was on hand to respond with another one goal and two points to restore a 1-21 to 1-15 lead. Two points each were exchanged and kept the margin at six points. Kilpeacon set up a grandstand finish with a second goal, but Eoin Harmon closed the door immediately with Patrickswell’s second goal. The game was slipping towards injury time with the ‘Well 2-23 to 2-17 ahead. Kilpeacon scored a third goal and reduced the deficit to three points. Our defence held firm and Patrickswell won by 2-23 to 3-17.

CLUB LOTTO: Lotto results for the week ending Monday July 1 were as follows. The numbers drawn were 10, 18, 27 and 31. The Bonus was 9. There was no jackpot winner. The Lucky Dip Winners were Mike McNamara €100, The Legends €50, Sean McNamara €20, Mary Moore €20, Patrick Kirby €20, Joe Lyons €20 and Pat O’Shea €20. The next draw on Monday July 8 will be held in Punch’s Bar. The jackpot is €3,400.