SENIOR HURLERS: The Senior hurlers edged out hosts Mungret in a match that swung from team to team. Patrickswell began the game on the front foot as Kevin O’Brien’s goal and four additional points established a 1-4 to 0-0 cushion after just ten minutes. Mungret recovered from the early setback to rattle Patrickswell with a seven-point haul before the 20th minute. The whirlwind beginning to the game abated as both teams traded two points apiece (Calvin Carroll and Mark Carmody) before the 30th minute. On the cusp of half-time, Cian Enright’s point and Cian Gorman’s close-range goal gave Patrickswell a 2-7 to 0-9 interval lead.
After one point apiece at the start of the second half, Patrickswell devastated Mungret with a flurry of a goal and five points in eight minutes. Seanie O’Brien anticipated a lofted sixty-yard cross to volley home a goal with consummate skill. The spectators assumed the result was in little doubt as Patrickwell held a twelve-point lead of 3-13 to 0-10 in the 43rd minute. Mungret had different ideas and started to chip away at the deficit. Over the next ten minutes, the home team outscored the ‘Well by six points to one point. The arrears were trimmed to seven points at 3-14 to 0-16. While Calvin Carroll scored another point, Mungret clawed back another four points in four minutes. There were four points separating the teams in stoppage time. Kevin O’Brien’s insurance point cemented the Patrickswell victory before Mungret scored the final point. The result was a 3-16 to 0-21 triumph for John O’Meara’s men.
JUNIOR B HURLERS: The Junior B hurlers secured a worthy draw in Caherline. It was a topsy-turvy game, where Patrickswell could have lost, but almost won! The teams were inseparable after fifteen minutes with three points apiece. An unfortunate own goal put the hosts ahead and Caherline pushed ahead by 1-5 to 0-4 in the 20th minute. Patrickswell increased their tempo and secured four points in six minutes to reach half-time level at 0-8 to 1-5.
Unfortunately, Caherline notched their second goal within thirty seconds of the restart. Over the next twenty minutes, Patrickswell and Caherline produced six points each. The ‘Well could not close the gap as every point was responded in kind. By the 55th minute, Patrickswell trailed by three points at 2-11 to 0-14. It was evident that a goal was the only way to unseat Caherline. Paul Bennis obliged with a decisive goal to equalise in the 59th minute. Sam McNamara’s late free put Patrickswell in touching distance of a hard-fought victory, but Caherline forced a last-minute free along the touchline. The home club player held his nerve and equalised with a long-range stroke. At the final whistle, Patrickswell went home with a 1-15 to 2-12 draw.
CLUB LIMERICK DRAW: Congratulations to Fr. Mike Cussen, who scooped a €500 prize in the April Club Limerick Draw.
CLUB LOTTO: The Club Lotto draw on Monday April 25 was not won. The numbers drawn were 3, 10, 11 and 14. The bonus number was 8. The €100 Lucky Dip was won by Linda & Sean O’Grady and the €20 prizes were claimed by Helen O’Donoghue, Doris Cusack, Robert Graham, MIchael Coughlan and Shreya Kumar. This week’s jackpot is €14,400.