Limerick U20 hurlers suffer tough defeat to Tipperary in Munster Championship:

By siadbh Redmond Limerick Leader Sport

LIMERICK have suffered another tough defeat in the Munster GAA U20 Hurling Championship against Tipperary, 3-18 to 1-17, this evening, Friday, in Mick Neville Park, Rathkeale.

This leaves Limerick with two defeats in the round robin stages of the Championship after an opening round loss to Clare. They now have a two week break to regroup before heading to SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh to face the Rebels on Friday, April 26 at 7pm.

Tipperary were the better team on the night as they slotted over scores with star player Darragh McCarthy scoring 1-9 for his side.

Limerick started the game at a blistering pace scoring three quick points from Con Hayes and Matthew Fitzgerald to put them 0-3 up after three minutes of play.

It took the opening minutes for Tipperary to come to life but once they did they were able to strike over scores easily as Limerick struggled to get a hold of them defensively.

In the space of 10 minutes the visiting team scored 10 points to put them well ahead of the Treaty team after 20 minutes of play leaving it 0-10 to 0-6.

Tipperary’s Darragh McCarthy was foot perfect in his free taking slotting over four frees in the opening half before Limerick’s Fintan Fitzgerald was pulled down in the box and referee Shane Scanlon awarding the penalty. High Flanagan made no mistake with the shot after 22 minutes but it was still Tipperary that lead.

The visiting side finished the first-half on a high note with a goal from Oisin O’Donghue before another penalty was awarded this time to Tipperary’s McCarthy who made no mistake as he stood up to shoot his own penalty leaving Tipperary in the lead at the half-time break 2-12 to 1-8.

Things did not improve for Limerick in the second-half despite scoring the first two points of the half from Hugh Flanagan and Wayne Kearns.

Tipperary, much like the first-half, were quick to find their scoring rhythm once again and main man McCarthy was flawless with his shots scoring five points in the final 20 minutes of play.

To their credit Limerick continued to rally and fight back against the ever growing Tipperary lead with long-range frees from Cian Scully and substitute Mark Riordan to leave them 1-16 to 2-17 down after 50 minutes of play.

Tipperary put the final nail in the coffin with a fabulous goal from Senan Butler to leave them well ahead with the final score of the game coming from a Limerick free to leave Tipperary with the 3-18 to 1-17 victory.

LIMERICK SCORERS: Oisín O’Farrell 0-3 (0-3 frees), Cian Scully 0-3 (0-1 free, 0-1 65), Con Hayes 0-2, Hugh Flanagan 0-2, Mark Riordan 0-2 (0-2 frees), Matthew Fitzgerald 0-1, Shane O’Brien 0-1, Wayne Kearns 0-1, Oisín O’Farrell 0-1, Vince Harrington 0-1, Dara Ferland 0-1

TIPPERARY SCORERS: Darragh McCarthy 1-9 (0-7 frees), Oisin O’Donoghue 1-2, Senan Butler 1-0, Conor Martin 0-3, Cathal English 0-2, Ronan Connolly 0-1, Paddy McCormack 0-1 (0-1 frees)

LIMERICK: Pierce Connery (Kilmallock), Mikey Fitzgibbon (Cappamore), Darragh Langan (Monaleen), Shane Fitzgibbon (Dromin/Athlacca), Vince Harrington (Na Piarsaigh), Matthew Fitzgerald (Monaleen), Cian Scully (C) (Dromin/Athlacca), Joe Fitzgerald (Monaleen), Con Hayes (Newcastle West), Robert O’Farrell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), Fintan Fitzgerald (Mungret/ St Pauls), Donal Coughlan (Doon), Hugh Flanagan (Garrspillane), Shane O’Brien (Kilmallock), Oisín O’Farrell (Askeaton/Kilcornan Desmonds).

SUBS: Wayne Kearns (Na Piarsaigh) for M Fitzgibbon (Half-Time), Dara Ferland (Monaleen) for O O’Farrell (45 minutes), Mark Riordan (Castletown/Ballyagran) for D Coughlan (47 minutes), Daniel Scully (Dromin/Athlacca) for H Flanagan (52 minutes), Tádgh Boddy (Bruff) for F Fitzgerald (61 minutes)

TIPPERARY: Eoin Horgan, Chris O’Donnell, Aaron O’Halloran, Podge O’Dwyer, Ronan Connolly, Ben Currivan (C), Jack Collins, Sam O’Farrell, Adam Daly, Cathal English, Conor Martin, Oisin O’Donoghue, Darragh McCarthy, Paddy McCormack, Senan Butler.

SUBS: Eoin Craddock for S O’Farrell (37 minutes), Conor Gleeson for J Collins (49 minutes), Damien Corbett for S Butler (52 minutes), Jamie Ormond for C English (54 minutes), Jack Quinlan for A O’Halloran (57 minutes)

REFEREE: Shane Scanlon (Cork)