Limerick footballers secure home preliminary quarter-final after big Tailteann Cup win over London:

By Paul Shaughnessy Limerick Leader Sport

Limerick senior footballers defeated London on a final scoreline of 2-14 to 0-10 in round three of the Tailteann Cup on Saturday afternoon at Parnell Park.

Limerick produced a strong performance in the first half to have them leading 2-08 to 0-06 at the break.

It was London who won the throw-in and the Exiles held onto the ball for a long period of time and Shay Rafter made no mistake from a close range free on two minutes.

Cathal Downes responded for Limerick hitting two incredible points from the outside of his boot to have Jimmy Lee’s side leading 0-2 – 0-1 on nine minutes.

London were frustrating Limerick putting huge numbers behind the ball and Michael Maher’s side were playing a possession game which resulted in Rafter nailing another free to deadlock the sides for the second time on 12 minutes.

The sides swapped scores between the 12th and 19th minute on two occasions and then the lively Peter Nash levelled the game with a neat point from play.

The Treaty county took control of the game in the remaining 16 minutes where they outscored their opponents 2-04 to 0-2.

The first goal came from Danny Neville where Neville pounced on a defensive mistake on 32 minutes to raise the first green flag of the day. Before the interval, Emmett Rigter and Danny Neville combined to set Paul Maher up for Limerick’s second goal and Maher punched the ball into the London net to give Limerick some breathing space at the break and have them leading by eight points at half-time.
Top Stories

Both sides struggled to register scores early on in the seocnd half, before London captain Eoin Walsh was on target. The lively Barry Coleman responded kicking two points to put the victors 2-10 to 0-07 ahead.

London didn’t throw in the towel and hit the next two points through Michael Carroll and Ciaran Diver to keep them within touching distance.

A free from Limerick goalkeeper Josh Ryan and Emmett Rigter pushed the Shannonsiders into a nine point lead. On 60 minutes the clinical Danny Neville was dismissed on a black card on 60 minutes.

Michael Carroll replied to leave the score at 2-12 to 0-10 with six minutes remaining.

Limerick finished strongly with the lively Peter Nash and Brian Ahern on target to seal a ten point victory.

Danny Neville, Barry Coleman, Cathal Downes and Peter Nash all produced impressive performances for Jimmy Lee’s charges.

Limerick have now finsihed in second place in group four of the Tailteann Cup after their ten point victory over London and have now been rewarded with a home preliminary quarter-final.

LIMERICK: Danny Neville 1-01, Paul Maher 1-0, Cathal Downes 0-4, Peter Nash (0-4, 0-2 frees), Barry Coleman (0-2), Emmett Rigter, Brian Ahern and Josh Ryan (0-1 free) 0-1 each.

LONDON: Michael Carroll 0-3,Shay Rafter (0-2 frees), Daniel Clarke 0-2 , Aidan McLoughlin, Eoin Walsh and Ciaran Diver (0-1 free) 0-1 each.

LIMERICK: Josh Ryan (Oola),Cormac Woulfe (St Senans), Séan O’Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen),Tony McCarthy (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), Paul Maher (Adare), Cillian Fahy(Dromcollogher/Broadford), Iain Corbett (Newcastle West), Tommy Childs (Galtee Gaels), Cathal Downes (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), Emmett Rigter (Newcastle West), James Naughton (St Seanans), Barry Coleman (Rathkeale),Danny Neville (Ballysteen), Robbie Childs (Galtee Gaels), Peter Nash (Kildimo/Pallaskenry).

SUBS: Bryan Nix (Newcastle West) for Naughton (49 minutes), Jim Liston (Gerald Griffins) for Maher (55 minutes), Tommy Griffin (Gerald Griffins) for Tommy Childs (60 minutes), Colm McSweeney (Gerald Griffins) for Fahy (63 minutes), Brian Ahern (Dromcollogher/Broadford) for Rigter (69 minutes).

LONDON: Andrew Walsh, Daire Rooney, Cahir Healy, Eoin Walsh, Oran Kerr, Ciaran McKeon, Aidan McLoughlin, Joshua Obahor, Michael Carroll, Stephen Dornan, Daniel Clarke, Ciaran Diver, Ruairi Rafferty, Shay Rater, Nathan McElwaine.

SUBS: DJ O’Flaherty for Dornan (53 minutes), Joseph McGill for Rafter (60 minutes), Sean Tucker, for Rafferty (63 minutes), Tighe Barry for McElwaine (67 minutes), Michael Miller for McLoughlin (69 minutes).

REFEREE: David Murnane (Cork)