CLUB DEVELOPMENT GROUNDWORKS LAUNCHED: We were delighted to have three-time All-Ireland winner, Kyle Hayes, at the launching of the groundworks of our club development plan during the week. Our ambitious plans include a 27m ball wall, a 27×25 enclosed all-weather training area, secure perimeter fencing as well as floodlighting for all year round use. This will be a huge asset for the club, will allow us to secure a training base for the winter months while allowing our players of all ages to hone their skills.
While stage one of these works have begun, we still need further assistance from the community in order to bring all these plans to conclusion. We are asking our friends, members, parishioners and supporters to assist with this project so that we can create future All-Ireland winners in the club! Contact any committee member to pledge your support!
INTERMEDIATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP: Kildimo/Pallaskenry 0-10 Crecora/Manister 0-13. A disappointing result for our Pallas Plastering/Chill the Beans-sponsored intermediate footballers in Croagh, as they fell to Crecora/Manister by three points. However, there is a positive in that, for the second year in succession, we have qualified for the knockout stages of Championship. There is plenty to learn from this defeat but the primary aim of getting out of the group has been accomplished.
Our opponents played the first half with more energy than we did, and they used this to talk a half-time lead. We did force a huge amount of turnovers in that first period, but we weren’t efficient in our use of ball and kicked a huge amount of wides. Crecora kicked two early scores, one from play and one from a free before Peter Nash got us off the mark with a free, a curled left-footed effort. Peter had us level with another free and then we went ahead with what was probably the score of the entire game. Conor Staff showed phenomenal pace and strength to carry the ball from deep inside his own defence, shrugging off a huge hit as he did so. Conor angled a pass inside towards the full-forward line but it was slightly off its intended target. But Ryan Kelly showed great determination to turn the ball over, the ball came loose as far as Tony McCarthy who kicked a wonderful score. We hoped that this would gee us on but it was our opponents who would kick two points in quick succession to take a narrow lead at the water break.
We were just never able to get our running game going, with our opponents happy to commit fouls if we did break the cover while on other occasions, we ran into traffic and were bottled up. We were slightly more clinical with our chances after the water break, and Lorcan O’Leary showed good opportunism to get us back on level terms. But our opponents then really got a stranglehold on the game and rattled off a number of scores in a row to open up a bit of a lead. Peter Nash kept us in touch with a couple of frees but the momentum before the break was well and truly with our opponents and they held a well-deserved half-time lead: Kildimo/Pallaskenry 0-6 Crecora/Manister 0-8.
We needed a response after the break and, to be fair, we roared into the second half. We dominated their kickouts and reeled off a number of scores in the opening couple of minutes of the half. The likes of Dylan Corrigan and Liam O’Sullivan weren’t getting the same space to work with as they did in our first outing but both still won numerous frees and Dylan kicked a lovely point from play at the start of the half to put us back within one. We got on the ball from the kickout, with Tony McCarthy and Conor Staff two imposing figures under the long kickout and James Pomeroy, Luke Guinane and Liam O’Sullivan among those
getting on the breaks. We were able to work the ball back inside and Peter Nash kicked a great point with his right foot to level the game. A minute later and we were back in the lead, again it was Peter from a placed ball. We had turned things around but, unfortunately, we could not hold onto our lead. It was a great start to the second half but we would only score one more point for the rest of the game, missing 10 more chances and also being unsuccessful when we tried to float a few balls in around the square.
Crecora/Manister slowly, but surely, whittled away and got the scores that they needed. Before the second half water break, they kicked three frees in reply to our opening scores to re-take a two-point lead. In the final quarter, we really dominated kickouts and had chance after chance, opportunity after opportunity but we just didn’t have our shooting boots on and our opponents defended extremely stoutly. They put us under severe pressure and hit us on the counter, kicking two nice scores from play when they were able to break the pressure. Jack Mullane had a good game for us in a defensive role, while we did see good work rate from players, we were beaten by a team who had the better of the game on the day.
It was a very disappointing result after a fantastic win over Drom/Broadford but there are plenty of things to take from the game. Tactically, it was a very different battle to our opening encounter and perhaps a different challenge to that which we experienced in our league campaign this year. However, we still qualify from the group in second place, behind Drom/Broadford with our opponents in the quarter-final likely to be either Mungret/St. Paul’s or Rathkeale. We have a three week break as attention now turns to the small ball and will gave a chance for our footballers to regroup, recharge and get the injured contingent back on the field. Well done to all involved, still some big matches left to go this year!
Team: Jamie Hickey; Jack Mullane, Barry Walsh, Eoin Sheahan; James Pomeroy, Tony McCarthy (0-1), Liam O’Sullivan; Keel Moloney, Conor Staff; Dylan Corrigan (0-1), Lorcan O’Leary (0-1), Garry Sheehan; Peter Nash (0-7, 0-6 frees), Johnny McHale, Ryan Kelly
Subs: Matthew Lucey for Johnny McHale; Luke Guinane for Garry Sheehan; Martin Nunan for Ryan Kelly
Panel: Brian Howard, Naoise McGarrigle, Ciarán Galvin, Sean Staff, Tadhg O’Shaughnessy, Darren Lane, Kieran Bourke, James Fitzgerald, Tom O’Shea, Bryan O’Shea, Darragh Deegan, Shaun Barry, Aaron O’Donovan, Mícheál Cuddihy
SENIOR HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP: We make our return to senior hurling this coming Friday September 10 in the Gaelic Grounds as we take on Monaleen at 7.30pm. Thankfully, the capacity will be increased from last weekend’s fixtures and hopefully all our supporters will be able to purchase tickets. The game is ticket-only, with tickets available online. Please check social media for the link to tickets for the game. Best of luck to all players and management next Friday in what is a huge game for the club, marking our return as a senior hurling club.
Monaleen fell to Adare in the opening fixture but have been senior for the past number of years and have generally been around the top of the senior B competition. Amongst their ranks, they have former intercounty hurlers in the form of Jamie Power, Lorcan Lyons and Andrew La Touche Cosgrave as well as intercounty footballers such as Gerry Collins and Luke Murphy. Like ourselves, they have a host of other players who have represented
Limerick at minor and U-20 level such as Ed Doyle, Ronan Lyons and Donnacha O’Dálaigh. They are certain to be very strong opposition, and will be eager to bounce back from the defeat on the opening weekend. However, our own preparations have gone well and are looking forward to the task! We are then fixed to play our neighbours Adare the following weekend, on Sunday September 19 at 6pm, in our second group fixture.
MINOR HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP: Kildimo/Pallaskenry 1-21 Garryspillane 1-13. Our minor hurlers had a great victory in Pallaskenry to maintain their unbeaten record, but still need one more win on Saturday to be sure of a place in the county semi-final. This victory came on the back of a superb first half performance in which our lads asserted their dominance. In the early stages, both sides had chances and the difference was we were that bit more accurate in our shooting, while we put Garryspillane under pressure when they were taking their shots. When the ball was going into the full-forward line from the likes of Davy Fitzgerald, Seán Hartigan and Robert O’Farrell were posing major problems for the Garryspillane full-back line. They scored five points from play between them in the opening half, and this danger caused Garryspillane to pull back a sweeper to cut out that supply.
But the direct running of Ryan Manning and the classy play of Conor McMahon on the wings was also hurting them outside, while Eddie McLoughlin and Séamus Stokes were getting through an amount of work in the middle field. Garryspillane pulling out an extra man allowed Davy Fitz free in the centre-back role and he lorded it after the water break for the remainder of the first half. We had led by 0-8 to 0-3 but we powered on before the half-time break to really put the game beyond the reach of our opponents. Not only were getting some classy scores, but we were working hard and our goal came through that work rate. A shot from out the field dropped short and was claimed by the goalkeeper. He attempted to come out with the ball but some great work from Tiernan Meaney dislodged the ball, Seán Hartigan was quickest to react and he finished smartly to the back of the net from close range. Both Seán and Davy added points from frees as the likes of Ciarán McMahon, Eddie McLoughlin and Dylan Moloney won frees by running at the opposition. Robert O’Farrell was electric inside in the full-forward line, with three points by half-time, and we led at the half-time break: Kildimo/Pallaskenry 1-15 Garryspillane 0-6.
We had possibly passed up a few goal opportunities in that first half by not running hard at goal but we kept the scoreboard ticking over and had what was a comfortable lead at the half-time break. But credit to Garryspillane, they are a fine side and came out all guns blazing after half-time. They made a few positional changes but fought like dogs for every ball and they certainly had the better of the third quarter, outscoring us by 1-4 to 0-2. They really limited our opportunities during that period and we needed a brilliant score from Eddie McLoughlin after a powerful run to steady the ship. Garryspillane caught us napping with a quick free which was played into the middle and their player rattled the back of the net with a rasper of a shot which gave Niall Rushe absolutely no chance. They had a little bit of momentum during this period but this gave an opportunity for our backs to stand up, and stand up they did. Ben Higgins was imperious at full-back, while Eoin Mulvihill and Séamus Stokes put in tackle after tackle, hit after hit. Our opponents narrowed the gap to seven points by the second water break, as we led 1-17 to 1-10.
We settled in the final fifteen minutes and saw the game home. Fresh legs came on to make an impact, Fionn McAuley and Ken Leahy were both unlucky with goal chances while Cian Arthur, Calum Coughlan and Joey McCarthy all put in some big hits that needed to be made. Ciarán McMahon also exerted an influence and the final quarter also saw what was undoubtedly the score of the game. Conor McMahon made a heroic catch in the right half-forward position from a long Niall Rushe puckout. The ball was worked across to Seánie Hartigan who had floated out the field, who then laid it off to Dylan Moloney. Dylan took the contact, almost flooring the Garryspillane back, before turning back onto his right side and landing a monster score from the touchline. With the crowd standing behind him, everyone in Pallaskenry knew that the ball was over the bar from the moment it left his stick, it went straight and true, carried by the roar of the home crowd. With a score like that, we knew we weren’t going to beaten on the night and it finished on a 1-21 to 1-13 scoreline.
Credit must go to Garryspillane, they came out fighting in the second half, they didn’t lie down and probably had the better of the second period. However, it was a really slick display from our lads in the first half, playing at a pace that probably is impossible to maintain across 60 minutes. We had a really good spread of scorers, with 8 different players contributing scores and plenty others involved in assists and creating. An excellent performance from all involved, and we go again next Saturday morning against Cappamore with a place in the county semi-final at stake!
Team: Niall Rushe; Shane O’Sullivan, Ben Higgins, Ethan Browne; Eoin Mulvihill, Davy Fitzgerald (0-4, 0-3 frees), Dylan Moloney (0-1); Séamus Stokes, Eddie McLoughlin (0-1); Ryan Manning (0-1), Ciarán McMahon (0-2), Conor McMahon (0-2); Robert O’Farrell (0-3), Tiernan Meaney, Seán Hartigan (1-7, 0-5 frees)
Subs: Fionn McAuley for Eddie McLoughlin (temporary blood sub); Ken Leahy for Tiernan Meaney; Fionn McAuley for Ryan Manning; Cian Arthur for Eoin Mulvihill; Calum Coughlan for Séamus Stokes; Joey McCarthy for Robert O’Farrell
Panel: Joe Fitzgerald; Patrick Kenny; Jonathan McLoughlin; Seán Kavanagh; James Ranahan
MINOR HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP: Kildimo/Pallaskenry 1-22 Cappamore 2-12. A fantastic achievement by our minor hurlers who have qualified for a county semi-final in the Premier Minor Hurling Championship for the first time in the club’s history! We have competed at this grade before but had never advanced as far as this. This match pretty much acted as a straight knockout quarter-final; had we lost, Cappamore would likely have advanced to the semi-final in our place. Cappamore started in lively fashion, took the opening score and had another opportunity before we got to grips with the game and we would reel off the next seven points in a row to take control of matters.
Our dangerous inside forward line were extremely lively in these opening exchanges, with both Robert O’Farrell and Seánie Hartigan getting excellent scores after taking on their men. A placed ball from distance from Davy Fitzgerald before a well-taken score from Ciarán McMahon put us three points to the good. At this point, Cappamore were unable to get out of their own half due to the pressure being applied by our players. The likes of Eoin Mulvihill and Dylan Moloney were breaking the ball for Séamus Stokes, Eddie McLoughlin and Ciarán McMahon to sweep up, while Davy Fitz, even though getting a lot of attention from the opposition, was showing his quality at centre-back. Seán Hartigan struck over a free before Eddie McLoughlin scored a good score under pressure. When the ball went inside to our full-forward line, they remained a major threat and Robert O’Farrell added a second point of the day to give us a six-point lead.
However, this was certainly one of the toughest tests that our minors have had all year. Cappamore, with two wins from two before today, were not going to lie down and they fought back with the next few scores to close the gap. We saw some great pressure being applied by the likes of Ben Higgins, Ethan Browne and Shane O’Sullivan to prevent further scores being added but Cappamore were able to cut the gap to just three points and were under a little bit of pressure ourselves. To relieve that pressure, Séamus Stokes stood up and took responsibility to score a fantastic point under a lot of pressure. Momentum had been swinging the way of the opposition and this was a much-needed score from Séamus, extremely well-taken. We followed this superb score up with another of real quality. Niall Rushe hit a long puckout down the left side; it was contested by Ciarán McMahon but it broke in behind and was well-read by Eddie McLoughlin. He took the ball at pace and went straight at goal, slicing through the heart of the Cappamore defence. He initially showed immense pace and power to ride the challenges before showing real bravery to ship a really heavy hit just as he struck the ball. Eddie ended up on the ground after opening his body up, but the ball was planted in the bottom corner of the net, a really top class finish from the midfielder!
There was some treatment needed but Eddie was able to play on, but Cappamore again applied some pressure to get two scores in a row, having had their momentum really rocked by that goal. Séamus Stokes added a second score for himself personally, a really good tally of 1-3 from play coming from our midfield duo, the spread of scorers was once again fantastic. Davy Fitz had a goal chance as he took on defenders down the right wing, weaving inside and outside but his shot was eventually saved. But we didn’t let Cappamore escape and won a free moments later, which was converted by Davy himself. We led by four and had had the better of things for large portions of the half but Cappamore never surrendered, and they hit us for 1-1 just before half-time, which meant we only led by three points at the break: Kildimo/Pallaskenry 1-11 Cappamore 1-8.
Having led by seven points at one stage, this was a disappointment but our lads knew they had it in them to drive on again in the second half and see out the victory. Cappamore had withdrawn some players and had contested the middle third with real vigour in the final 10/15 minutes of the first half and we knew we’d have to come out on top in this area if we wanted to win. We started with real energy in the second and the industrious Ciarán McMahon, who had a huge influence on the game, fired over two points from play in quick succession. Ciarán started to exert his control on the game to a massive extent in the second half as he got on break after break and took the game to the opposition by carrying the ball at speed. Cappamore hit back with a free but Seán Hartigan then fired over a free, before Fionn McAuley scored a huge point over the shoulder to give us a six-point advantage once again. Although Cappamore reduced that at times, we would hold that six-point lead at the second half water break, with the pick of the scores before then being a huge shot from distance from Conor McMahon, who also got through an awful lot of work.
Calum Coughlan also made an impact from the bench, he brought a lot of energy and work rate to the wing-forward position and although he missed his first shot on goal, he scored a hugely important point from out on the right wing after Cappamore started the final quarter with a real flurry. They scored a really excellent goal, well-finished, to cut our lead to just three points. If there was only one score between the sides, that may have created some nervy moments, having played so well previously but Calum showed great leadership to fire over a point to increase our lead to four. It was something we had to do again after another
Cappamore free closed the gap to three again, but Seán Hartigan found the ball in space, cut back outside before landing a lovely point from play.
We would not let Cappamore get another score and would see out the victory from there. Cappamore started hunting goals at four points down but we were able to repel them, with the likes of Ben Higgins a tower of strength at the back. Davy Fitz added a couple more frees before the end, while Ciarán McMahon also added another, a fifth from play from him! Once again, the spread of scorers was superb; with nine different players getting scores from play, a fair achievement, while plenty of others were involved the build-up, with someone like Shane O’Sullivan getting involved in a huge amount of play. It’s a great achievement for this bunch of players but with a semi-final spot secured, they will not be resting on their laurels and will want to progress to the next stage. But, as a club, we must congratulate them on having got this far and we will be fully behind them the next day also! Many thanks also to the management team of John Stokes, Pat Hartigan, Adrian Garvey, Kyle Hayes as well as Neil Rushe on first aid, and Éanna McGarrigle and Kevine Aherne on stats!
Team: Niall Rushe; Shane O’Sullivan, Ben Higgins, Ethan Browne; Eoin Mulvihill, Davy Fitzgerald (0-4, 0-3 frees), Dylan Moloney; Séamus Stokes (0-2), Eddie McLoughlin (1-1); Ryan Manning, Conor McMahon (0-1), Ciarán McMahon (0-5); Robert O’Farrell (0-2), James Ranahan, Seán Hartigan (0-5, 0-2 frees)
Subs: Fionn McAuley (0-1) for James Ranahan; Calum Coughlan (0-1) for Ryan Manning; Seán Kavanagh for Robert O’Farrell
Panel: Joe Fitzgerald, Joe McCarthy, Patrick Kenny, Tiernan Meaney, Ken Leahy, Jonathan McLoughlin, Cian Arthur, Ross Allen
U-7 HURLING: Our U-7s hosted Crecora/Manister during the games and enjoyed three great games. Fantastic to see these young players enjoying their hurling and developing their skills, the stars of the future!
U-10 CAMOGIE: Our U-10 ladies welcomed Croagh/Kilfinny to Pallaskenry on Thursday evening. Both clubs fielded two sides, with each team playing two games each. It was a real feast of skilful camogie action. Great credit is due to their coaching team who have developed the skills of these girls all year long and encouraged them all the way! Well done to all involved!
LEAVING CERT: Well done to all our club members who received their Leaving Cert results during the week.
CLUB LIMERICK DRAW: Congratulations to John Chawke who was a winner in the most recent Club Limerick draw! This is a great way to support both your club and county, so please join the Club Limerick draw for 2021! You can win up to €10,000 monthly with 30 cash prizes and an exclusive star prize given out each month! Join the Club Limerick draw by visiting “supporting the future success of our clubs & county teams”.
Tickets are also being sold for the ‘Win a Kuga draw’ at Tickets are €20 each, and the winner will be announced on September 25. Online sales close on Friday, September 17. This gives Limerick GAA supporters a chance to support Limerick teams from
minor all the way up to senior, in both hurling and football, as well as the opportunity to win a new white Ford Kuga Titanium Hybrid Automatic, in association with Lyons of Limerick.
PITCH SIGNAGE: If you or business is interested in supporting your local GAA club, give us a message on social media for details of pitch signage options in both Kildimo and Pallaskenry GAA grounds.
CLUB LOTTO: The winning numbers in this week’s lotto draw were 3, 6, 12, 19. There was no winner of the overall draw. The €25 lucky dip winners were 1. Denis McNamara; 2. Eamon Lyons; 3. Sean Ryan; 4. Ger Neville. The jackpot rises to €11,300 for next week’s draw.
Our lotto has moved online and can be played at with options to play weekly, monthly or as often as you like! Six-month and annual lotto subscriptions are also now available. With ongoing restrictions our club lotto is the most vital fundraising and income source for the club, even more so now when all other fundraising activities remain suspended and not possible to run. We are continuing to reach out to members, supporters, friends of our club to please consider joining and playing the lotto online in order to support the ongoing costs of running our club. The best way to support the club right now is through the lotto!
Tickets are also available in Mace Kildimo, Gala Pallaskenry, the Seven Sisters, the Beer Garden, De Bucket, the Corner House and Clancy’s Bar and from our weekly lotto sellers. Please continue to support your local club!
TWITTER: The club also have a new twitter account which can be found by searching Kildimo/Pallaskenry GAA or by the twitter handle @kildimopallas. Give the club a follow to keep up to date with all the latest club news.
PHOTOGRAPH : Kildimo/Pallaskenry Intermediate Football Team