Work on our field development has recommenced this week and we will continue to post updates as work continues.
As part of a fundraising initiative, we will be offering people to opportunity to purchase a name tag which will be place on our new pitch fencing. Further details will be announced at a later stage but if you wish to support us, please contact any committee member.
South Title for Galtee Gaels Juniors
Galtee Gaels 1 – 11 Camogue Rovers 1 – 9
This all ticket south junior B football league final, played in perfect conditions at Kilfinane on last Thursday evening, far surpassed its perceived lowly status. The contestants valued the prize and gave it all on the field of play before a sparse attendance.
Six points up facing into the first water break Galtee Gaels had control of the game torn away. A harsh penalty brought Camogue Rovers into the contest plus an injury to the very influential Des Lane turned the game – there was never more than three points between the sides there after.
Brendan Childs, whose strength was of immense value, set up Evan Mulcahy for a green flag within two minutes and immediately Derek Gallahue added a point. Camogue Rovers half back Doody went forward to get his side on the scoreboard. Des Lane grabbed the attention when he set up Derek Gallahue and Wayne Walsh for points, then used his strength to break the tackle and add Galtee Gaels fifth point to leave the score at 1 – 4 to 0 – 1.
Points were exchanged with Des the creator with a hard earned free which he delivered for Brendan to finish. Galtee Gaels were dominant up till this point with Hugh Moloney and Wayne Walsh performing well in the centre before a watertight defence.
This defence was breached however in the seventeenth minute when the Rovers attack went unchecked from the right wing and Cian Lewis did well to parry the shot from close range. The referee pointed to the spot and the margin was reduced to three points at the first water break.
Stephen Quirke was introduced for the injured Des Lane and the game developed into an intriguing clash. In the run up to half time Galtee Gaels were under pressure, Packie Cleary prevented a second goal while the margin was down to the minimum at the break.
Andy Breedy’s point three minutes into the second half marked the end of an eighteen minute barren scoring spell for the winners. Galtee Gaels conceded a easy point but Evan Mulcahy set up Stephen O’Rourke for a reply. The next two points in the 10th and 16th minutes sailed over the Galtee Gaels crossbar, in between both sides went close to finding the net. Euan Dunne’s close range effort was blocked while Cian Lewis was at his best to prevent a goal at the other end. When the referee called the second water break the sides were level 1 – 7 each.
In an effort to recover the initiative Patrick Casey and Ken Lane were introduced, to be followed later by Mark Walsh and Kaelem Breedy.
Conor McGrath, now at midfield, won a free which Evan Mulcahy converted, Euan Dunne got on the scoreboard with a similar score. With five minutes remaining the Meanus side had the margin down to one following a long range free but followed up with a few vital misses as the game ticked over the thirty minutes.
It was a game of many stoppages with a busy first aider, Margaret Ann McGrath. A lengthy period of added time anticipated. Galtee Gaels had a good spell with late substitute and team manager Ken Lane orchestrating a play out and Galtee Gaels extending their lead to three points.
Camogue Rovers had one last throw of the dice and laid siege to the Galtee Gaels goalmouth. A goal was needed, scorable frees moved closer to the goal line but the final shot went over the bar and the cup belonged to the Galtys.
None of the players earned a perfection rating, Cian Lewis, Andy Breedy and Evan Mulcahy were not far off, Wayne Walsh, Brendan Childs and Des Lane got in a lot of hard work with a team that showed a lot of spirit in the closing stages.
Mike Keane and Hugh Murphy, South Limerick GAA Board, were on hand to present the cup to the delighted Galtee Gaels captain Wayne Walsh who suitable replied. The cup was reclaimed, without explanation, by the board officials after on field celebrations.
Galtee Gaels: Cian Lewis, Tommy O’Dwyer, Chris Noonan, Packie Cleary, Sean Barry, Andy Breedy (0 – 1), Edward Quinn, Hugh Moloney, Wayne Walsh Capt. (0 – 1), Des Lane (0 – 1), Derek Gallahue (0 – 2), Conor McGrath, Euan Dunne (0 – 1), Brendan Childs (0 – 1) and Evan Mulcahy (1 – 3, 2f). Subs: Stephen Quirke (0 – 1), Patrick Casey, Ken Lane, Mark Walsh and Kaelem Breedy.
Team manager, Ken Lane, in his first year as team manager, was delighted with the support he received from the panel. In the opening game against Galbally which they lost, they had a turnout of eighteen players. In subsequent matches the turnout increase to around thirty. Ken praised the contribution and dedication of his fellow selectors, Timmy Breedy who stepped back as team manager 2014-2020 and was an enormous support and help, also the dedicated and experienced Sean Lane.
Galtee Gaels are due to meet the west league champions in the county semi-final earlier this Tuesday in Kilfinane evening
Galtee Gaels Kellogg’s Cúl Camp 2021
Galtee Gaels 2021 Kellogg’s Cúl Camp concluded on Friday afternoon when Limerick and Galtee Gaels footballers, Eoghan McNamara and Bob Childs visited the camp and circulated among the groups.
The camp, which was favoured with excellent weather conditions, culminated with a question and answer session moderated by Games Development Administrator and camp chief James Ryan.
The participants had many questions for Bob, Eoghan and James before Bord na nÓg secretary and
camp co-ordinator Eric Kelly complemented the participants for their excellence during their five days fun and games at O’Mahony Park. Eric thanked James Ryan and his team of super coaches, the parents for their cooperation the adult club and Galtee Gaels LGFA club for their assistance, the check in stewards, traffic controllers and supervisors.
He thanked all who helped in preparation of pitch and the clean up afterwords. The ice cream van had a busy hour – no water fights this year due to Covid-19 – thanks to all who heeded the advice on working around present the pitch developments. Everyone agreed it was a great camp in strange times.
PS. Ollie Coffey, retired GDA, who headed up the camp for perhaps ten years or more also made a courtesy visit.
Galtee Gaels GAA extends its sympathy to Margaret Doyle and Family on the death of her sister Jean in the USA. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.