First half showing sees Cill Na Marta beat Mungret St Paul’s in Munster final:

By John Keogh Limerick Leader Sport

MUNGRET ST PAULS’ dream of a Munster Club IFC title came to an end in Mallow this afternoon after a 3-12 to 0-10 loss to Cork’s Cill Na Martra in the final.

The Cork side were by far the better team in the opening half and led by 14 points but Mungret produced a solid second half display in a game that was played in extremely difficult conditions with Storm Fergus rearing its ugly head throughout.

Michael Ó Deasúna opened the scoring after just 19 seconds for Cill Na Martra with a stunning effort from distance and that was quickly followed by another from Maidchi Ó Duinnín for the Cork side that were aided by a gale in the opening half hour.

Mungret were struggling to get beyond their own ’45 early doors and were punished with Ó Deasúna adding a couple of more efforts to put his side 0-4 to 0-0 with 12 minutes played.

A dominant Cill Na Martra side then had scores from centre back Sean Ó Fiorréidh and Daniel Ó Duinnín before the latter capitalised on a Mungret defensive error to fire in their first goal.

Brendan Giltenane then got Mungret on the scoreboard with a well taken score after John Hutton’s excellent pass but it was the only one they managed in the first half.

On the half hour, Cill Na Martra struck again with Ó Deasúna and Daniel Ó Duinnín combining to put Maidchi in on goal and he found the net via a devastating shot off the post.

Ó Deasuna and Daniel Ó Duinnín added further scores to leave the score at 2-9 to 0-1 at the break.

Mungret needed a strong start to the second half to have any hope of a comeback but it was Cill Na Martra that got it with a Damien Ó hUrdail point and a second goal from Daniel Ó Duinnín after good work from Ó Deasúna and Ó Foirréidh.

The Limerick side were the better side in the second half, however, and kicked six points in a row between the 37th and 48th minutes but were unable to get the goal they neededd.

Liam Harrington, Hutton (2), Diarmuid Hynes, Shane Barry and Darragh O’Hagan all hit the target as Mungret took firm control of proceedings with the score now at 3-11 to 0-8.

Cill Na Martra still looked dangerous on the break throughout the second half as Mungret pushed forward in search of a much needed goal.

They came close several times with excellent deliveries in and around the Cill Na Martra goal but Ó Foirréidh and captain Gearóid Ó Goillidhe were defiant on the Cork side’s goal line.

Mungret finished the game with scores from Hutton and Darragh O’Sullivan but it was Cill na Martra that held on for the victory and earned the Munster Club IFC title.

SCORERS – MUNGRET ST PAUL’S: John Hutton 0-4 (0-3 frees), Brendan Giltenane, Liam Harrington, Diarmuid Hynes, Shane Barry, Darragh O’Hagan and Darragh O’Sullivan 0-1 each.

SCORERS – CILL NA MARTRA: Daniel Ó Duinnín 2-2, Michael Ó Deasúna 0-5 (0-1 ’45, 0-1), Maidchi Ó Duinnín 1-1, Damien Ó hUrdaill 0-2, Sean Ó Forréidh and Ciarán Ó Duinnín 0-1 each

MUNGRET ST PAUL’S: Ronan McElligott; Jason Hassett, Robert Hegarty, Liam Harrington; Frank Corcoran, Jack McCarthy, James Garvey; Ciaran Deane, Darragh O’Hagan; James Killian, John Hutton, Brian Barry; Brendan Giltenane, Shane Barry, Darragh Bridgeman.

SUBS: Diarmuid Hynes for Deane (h-t), Oisin Moss for Garvey (h-t), Tom Lloyd for Killian (38 mins), Eoin Ryan for Giltenane (47 mins), Darragh O’Sullivan for S Barry (56 mins).

CILL NA MARTRA: Padraig Ó Críodáin; Colm Mac Lochlainn, Tadhg Ó Corcora, Finén Ó Faoláoin; Danny Ó Conaill, Sean Ó Fórréidh, Cianie Ó Fórréidh; Antóin Ó Cuana, Gearóid Ó Goillidhe; Daniel Ó Duinnín, Ciarán Ó Duinnín, Damien Ó hUrdaill; Maidhci Ó Duinnín, Michael Ó Deasúna, Fionbbarra Ó hÉalaithe.

SUBS: Shane Ó Duinnín for Ó Deasúna (53 mins), Graham Ó Mochláín for Ó Faoláin (56 mins), Cristóir Ó Meachair for M Ó Duinnín (58 mins), Daire Mac Lochlainn for Ó hUrdaill (61 mins), Eoin Ó Conaill for O Cuana (63 mins).

REFEREE: Brendan Griffin (Kerry).