Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup quarter-finals round-up
Thursday 7 February 2019   Official GAA

Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup quarter-finals

NUIG 1-15 LIT 2-10

Mary I 2-20 CIT 0-12

DCU 2-19 DIT 0-12

UCC 3-19 IT Carlow 1-11

The line-up for next Tuesday’s Fitzgibbon Cup semi-finals is now complete with NUIG set to face off against 2017 champions Mary Immaculate College while DCU clash with UCC.

NUIG created the biggest shock of the day as Evan Niland scored 0-9 in a narrow 1-15 to 2-10 victory over a star-studded LIT in Limerick.

Conor Sheedy scored the crucial goal for the visitors and despite majors from Peter Casey and Robert Byrnes LIT came up short.

LIT missed two penalties including a dramatic late wide from Limerick senior Diarmaid Byrnes.

Jeff Lynskey’s side held a 0-10 to 1-3 lead at half-time. Niland was their star, but Clare All-Star Peter Duggan was uncharacteristically off target with a few attempts.

Limerick All-Ireland winner Casey scored LIT’s goal before half-time, but they still trailed at the break.

Robert Byrnes fired LIT in front after his second half goal, but Sheedy hit back for NUIG. Galway forward Brian Concannon scored a crucial point and then Niland sealed it.

Hosts Mary I beat CIT by 2-20 to 0-13 to book their place in the final four.

Limerick forward Aaron Gillane scored 0-8 for the winners who were completely in control and had goals from Luke Meade and Gary Cooney.

Mary I were already 1-10 to 0-6 in front by half-time. Cooney’s goal arrived in the second minute and they pushed on for victory after that.

Mary I had seven different scorers in the first half and CIT couldn’t bring themselves closer than a five-point deficit after the restart.

Josh Beausang contributed 0-7 for the losers, but CIT bowed out.

Dublin manager Mattie Kenny was at DCU as the home team were comfortable 2-19 to 0-12 winners over Dublin rivals DIT.

DCU took an early lead and when Kilkenny’s Sean Morrissey found the back of the DIT net, they were 1-3 to 0-1 in front after only 11 minutes.

DIT rallied before half-time, however, and they were just 1-8 to 0-6 in arrears at the interval.

But just two minutes after the resumption Dublin native Brian Ryan scored the decisive goal that pushed DCU into an unassailable 2-9 to 0-7 advantage. They cruised to victory.

UCC, who lead the Fitzgibbon Cup roll of honour with 38 titles, beat IT Carlow 3-19 to 1-11 in the other quarter-final on Thursday evening.

Mark Kehoe’s goal helped UCC build a 1-8 to 0-8 lead at half-time and they couldn’t be caught afterwards.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport and outdoor