Bon Secours Senior Hurling County Championship
Ahane and Adare travelled to Claughaun to play the Senior Premier Relegation Final on a sunny Sunday afternoon. This was a must win game for both sides as the losers of this game would be relegated to Senior B.
Ahane hit the ground running with their first score coming the 2nd minute as Niall Moran got his first point in the game. Ahane missed a goal chance within the first minute as Paul O’Halloran’s shot hit the post and came back out. Tom Morrissey got Ahane’s next score heading into the 3rd minute with William Brennan getting his name on the score sheet 3 and a ½ minutes into the first half. Ahane had all the ball and had the strong wind at their back. Super performances from Padraig Harnett, Evan Enright, Andy Rowsome, Paddy Morrissey, Colum Carroll and Ciarán Barry in Ahane’s defence made live very hard for Adare. Adare got their scoring off to a start in the 7th minute and got their next score 50 seconds later. A brilliant score for Ahane came from Niall Moran who was on fire on Sunday afternoon, Niall took a sideline cut and struck it beautifully over the black spot, a serious piece of skills witness. Adare did use the ball very well and they took their scores when they got the opportunities. At the first water break the score was Ahane 0-07 Adare 0-05. Ahane took more advantage of the gale force wind in the second quarter of the first half and they created another goal chance but it was saved again this time by the Adare keeper, who made some good saves throughout the game. Ahane got points from William, Tom, Niall, and Paul O’Halloran in the second quarter of the first half to keep the Ahane scores ticking over. Adare however continued to take their points and they went for a shot on goal just before half time but Ahane keeper Adam O’Brien made a great save and ensured the ball didn’t hit the back of the net. Half time the scores stood as Ahane 0-16 Adare 0-08.
The second half started and Tom got Ahane off to a flying start as he scored a point from a free. He went on to get the next two points to ensure Ahane maintained the strong lead they had built up over the first half. Adare continued to plug away at the score and for each score Ahane got Adare got one in response. The score was Ahane 0-23 Adare 0-12 at the second water break. It was a tough physical battle at times with referee Johnny Murphy having to show a number of yellow cards to both sides over the sixty plus minutes. The Adare keeper made another great save after a great piece of play that started with Tom and Adam Murrihy who got the ball to Paul O’Halloran, Paul then passed it off to Willie who took on the shot but it was saved wonderfully and cleared out the field. The action was non stop at the other goal mouth as Adare had a close range free but it was saved by Ciarán Barry and cleared. However the danger was not gone as Willie Griffin of Adare won the clearance and took a shot at goal but again Adam O’Brien ensured that the ball didn’t hit the back of his net. Just went the Ahane lads thought they could take a breather Adare got another close range free and this time it was the hurley of corner back Andy Rowsome that got to it and pushed it out of a 65’ which Adare put wide. Niall and Willie got a point each to keep the gap at 10 points. Adare got another shot on goal but it was again saved this time by the posts, the rebound was saved again by the Ahane backs, however Johnny Murphy penalised Padraig Harnett for a tackle on the Adare forward and awarded Adare a penalty. Adare put the penalty into the back of Adam’s net. As the clock ticked on into injury time Adare got another close range free and this time the ball landed in the back of the net. Ahane did get two more points from frees from Tom and the game ended on a score line of Ahane 0-28 Adare 2-17.
A great performance to round of the 2020 season. A great boost for the club to remain playing at the highest senior level with the best teams in the county. On behalf of the club we want to thank Eamonn, Conor, Sean, Darren, Jack, Johnny, Brian and all of the backroom staff and management team, for all their time, dedication and hard work they have put in with the lads this year. A big thank you also to Mary Hassett for ensuring the lads were always well fed after training! To the lads themselves we want to thank them for all the work and time they have put into this year, especially for the year that was in it. To anyone that helped out in any way shape or form we want to thank you as without your continued help and support we wouldn’t have the club we have today.
Ahane Team: A. O’Brien; A. Rowsome, E. Enright (C), P. Hartnett, P. Morrissey, C. Carroll, C. Barry; D. Morrissey, C. O’Mara; N. Moran, T. Morrissey, M. O’Halloran, W. Brennan, P. O’Halloran, A. Murrihy.
J. Enright, M. Foley, R. Fox (for M. O’Halloran 2nd 1/2), D. McCarthy, M. Donnellan, P. Minehan, A. Hackett (for A. Murrihy 2nd 1/2), S. Hackett, D. Minehan.
Woodlands House Hotel Junior A County Hurling Championship
Ahane’s Junior hurlers travelled to Bruff on Sunday evening to play Dromcollogher Broadford in their 5th game of the championship. They came in on the back on two loses and two drawn games. Dromcollogher Broadford started the stronger and held their dominance for the whole game. Ahane were on the back foot straight off the bat as Dromcollogher Broadford scored a goal inside the first minute.
Conor Morrissey got Ahane off the mark as he scored a point. Dromcollogher Broadford popped over two points before Ahane got a goal chance that was very well saved by the keeper and knocked out for a 65’ which Johnny Meskell popped over the bar. The Ahane six backs were under serious pressure throughout the game as Dromcollogher Broadford dropped in ball and tried to run through the defence put credit where it is due the Ahane defence played well and handled the pressure. Ahane will be disappointed with their wide count over the game but especially in the first half when they had the advantage of the wind. Just before the first water break Dromcollogher Broadford broke through the Ahane defence and scored a goal that William O’Leary who had another good game between the post, could do nothing about. The scores at the first water break were Ahane 0-04 Dromcollogher Broadford 1-07.
Ahane started the second quarter of the first half well and out hurled Dromcollogher Broadford for the fifteen minutes. Scores from Johnny Meskell, Patrick Minehan and Diarmuid McCarthy kept Ahane in the game up to half time. Andrew Shanahan got a super score from centre back that really got the Ahane lads going and substitute Kevin Morrissey came on and got a point within two minutes of being introduced which bought the gap to two points. Tommy Clifford then got a point and the game was down to a 1 point gap but unfortunately Ahane could never get the equalising score as Dromcollogher Broadford got a point and the gap went back to two. Half time and the score was Ahane 0-11 Dromcollogher Broadford 1-10.
The second half started and Johnny got things moving for Ahane once again with a point. Again there was more great defensive play from Aidan Carroll, Shane Hackett, Andrew Shanahan, Luke O’Sullivan, Peter O’Grady, and Mike Hayes who led the team from full back. Tommy Clifford got another point for Ahane and the gap was back to 1. Another great save from William O’Leary ensured that the gap stayed at one. However as the half went on Dromcollogher Broadford started to move up the gears and they got another goal after a save initially from O’Leary. At the second water break the score was Ahane 0-14 Dromcollogher Broadford 2-13. Ahane were awarded a close range free but the Dromcollogher Broadford keeper saved it and it went out for a 65’. The gap came back to 5 points but again Dromcollogher Broadford upped it another gear and Ahane just couldn’t match them. Dromcollogher Broadford got a goal in the final few minutes of the game that sealed their win, but Ahane never gave up and got three more points after the goal to end the game on a score line of Ahane 1-18 Dromcollogher Broadford 3-20.
A tough loss for the Ahane lads who have put in some great performances of the season. Huge thank you to Jim and Colm for all their time and dedication to the lads and to the lads themselves for all the work and effort they put in over the year.
Ahane Team: W. O’Leary; P. O’Grady, M. Hayes, A. Carroll, S. Hackett, A. Shanahan, L. O’Sullivan; J.Meskell, C. Heffernan; P. Minehan, D. McCarthy, M. Hickey, T. Clifford, J. Hayes, C. Morrissey.
J. Barry (for M. Hickey 1st half), K. Morrissey (for C. Morrissey 1st half), P. Donohoe (for J. Hayes 2nd ½), L. Ryan (for C. Heffernan) C. Morrissey (P. Minehan 2nd Half) G. Harnett, P. Ryan, D. Hayes.
Minor B Football County Championship
Last Friday evening, the Ahane minor football team got their championship campaign off to the best possible start with a comprehensive team display in a victory over a keen and youthful Shannon Gaels outfit. From the throw-in, Eoin Madigan delivered a long ball into Ruairi Cronin who fielded, rounded their full-back and scored a wonderful goal in the opening seconds. This set the tone for the opening minutes of the contest with the Ahane contingent working hard around the middle to win ball and block out attacks while allowing their own set of forwards to keep pressure on their opponents while picking off some early points.
However about ten minutes in, there came a pivotal moment in the game when a penalty was awarded to Shannon Gaels for a foot-block following some very enterprising runs through the middle. While Evan O’Leary should be congratulated on saving the well-struck penalty, it was his immediate reaction to get up again and block the point-blank rebound which really shook Shannon Gaels and allowed Ahane to continue their early dominance once again. A second goal from Ruairi Cronin, followed by a goalkeeping error after Eoin Madigan let in another long ball had this game well within Ahane’s control at halftime with a lead of 3-05 to 0-02.
Some astute positional switches by the sideline management helped Ahane maintain control down the middle of the pitch throughout this game, with the captain Brian Murphy leading by example from full-back in attacking everything that came his way, ably supported by Kevin Morrissey in front of him. Ahane continued to create excellent chances by either delivering quick ball into the full-forward line or by carrying the ball through the hands of support runners. One of the scores of the match came this way when after some lovely link-up play, Ruairi Cronin played in Craig O’Connell who then, after turning his man inside and out, calmly stroked over a wonderful point from out on the right. Even naming some players here does an injustice to the rest of the team who were very balanced on every line throughout the pitch, with scores coming through hard-work and running as well as frees created by overloading Shannon Gales players when in possession. The free-taking of Ciaran Coulter was a sight to behold for those in attendance, and goals in the second half from Ruairi again and Peter Donohoe capped a fine team display with a final scoreline of Ahane 5-09, Shannon Gales 2-03.
There is a county quarter-final on the horizon now for this team and the coming weeks will be planned in detail by the fine management team of Denis, John, Kevin, Joe, Sean, Greg and Jimmy. They would like to extend their thanks to those within the club who helped out with Covid Supervision, Car Parking and Umpiring, as well as the players and their parents for committing to this enterprise for the current season.
Lotto Draw Number 4
Results from this evenings lotto draw are as follows;
Jackpot €7,000
Numbers Drawn: 13, 10, 21, 23
No Jackpot Winner
Names Drawn:
€200 Mary Kennedy Gouig
€150 Seamus Ryan Annaholty
€120 Geraldine & Liam Cosgrove Ballyvarra
€120 Geraldine Critchley Coolbawn Castleconnell
€120 Jack Cosgrave Mounthshannon
€120 John Byrnes Wood Road
€120 Mary O’Mara Grange Lisnagry
€120 John Slattery Grange Upper
€120 Mary Stringer 3 Richill Woods
€120 Andy Sheehan Castlecourt Castleconnell
U14 Football
Ahane u14s played their final game in the first round of the Football Division 2 Championship against South Liberties Crecora Manister this week.
It was a lovely evening for football and lots of friendly rivalry created a good atmosphere for both sides. Ahane started off really well with a goal and went on to score 2-5 to 1-1 in the first quarter. No scores came from either side during the last 10 minutes of the first half but some super saves by both goalkeepers added to the entertainment. Ahane came out stronger in the end to finish the game at 2-12 to 2-1.
We are now looking forward to a county semi final so well done to all our squad!
The Under 14 Mentors would like to thank Crecora GAA for welcoming us to their fine pitch and we wish them the best of luck in their remaining games.
Thanks too to the referee, umpires, Covid officers and to the boys parents for their continued support.
Ahane abù!
Upcoming Fixtures
U14 Hurling: Ahane v Monaleen. Wednesday 16th September in Mackey Park Ahane at 6:45pm.
Minor B Football County Championship Quarter Final: Ahane v Rathkeale/St Senan’s. Sunday 20th September in Clarina at 12noon