SENIOR HURLERS: The Senior hurlers are scheduled to meet Kildimo-Pallaskenry in the City League on Thursday July 1 at 7.30pm at home. Three days later on Sunday July 4 at 7.30pm, Patrickswell visit neighbours Ballybrown.
INTERMEDIATE HURLERS: The Intermediate hurlers played two City League matches in three days against Crecora and Ballybrown. The match against Crecora was played in wet conditions that affected the quality of hurling. Patrickswell were rocked by a first minute goal that bounced in from a long-range free. While Crecora added another two points, the ‘Well struggled with a series of costly wides. Peter Harty registered the first Patrickswell free in the eleventh minute, which was followed up immediately by a point from Josh Carey. The driving rain limited the amount of clear-cut chances, hence the scoreline at the first-half water break was 1-2 to 0-2 for Crecora. When action resumed, Pa Mann and Jamie Dillon produced quickfire points to narrow the deficit to a single score. Crecora were unfazed by the Patrickswell recovery as they produced two consecutive points to lead by 1-4 to 0-4 in the 25th minute. David Woulfe and Darragh Ahern’s points trimmed the arrears to a single point again, but Crecora fired over a free in response. Thankfully, Patrickswell finished the first half on a high note as David Woulfe and Jamie Dillon levelled the match at 0-8 to 1-5 by the interval.
The second half’s rate of scoring was initially very slow. Crecora restored their lead directly from the restart. Darragh Ahern and David Woulfe added fresh points to put the ‘Well ahead by 0-10 to 1-6 by the 38th minute. After a lull in scoring, Crecora took the lead with two points in a minute. When Paul O’Brien was sent off just before the second-half water break, Patrickswell were 1-8 to 0-10 behind and reduced to 14 men. However, Patrickswell produced an excellent final phase to stun Crecora. The decisive moment occurred in the 54th minute when Josh Carey’s height advantage resulted in a Patrickswell goal. Crecora had no response to the setback and the ‘Well sewed up the match with five unanswered points in seven minutes from David Woulfe (0-3) and Sam McNamara (0-2). The 1-15 to 1-8 victory was sealed by a remarkable display of teamwork in the face of unfavourable odds.
In the next match, Patrickswell faced neighbours Ballybrown in an extremely competitive encounter. The teams exchanged three points in the opening five minutes before Peter Harty put Patrickswell 0-4 to 0-3 ahead in the tenth minute. Over the next quarter of an hour, the lead changed hands on a number of occasions. When the scores were level at 0-6 apiece, Gavin Carey surged through the Ballybrown defence and clinically struck a goal. Peter Harty followed up with an immediate point, but the visitors responded with three consecutive points. There were five minutes remaining in the first half and the teams were deadlocked at 1-7 to 0-9. Two frees from David Woulfe allowed the ‘Well to reach the interval at 1-9 to 0-9 ahead.
Ballybrown took control at the start of the second half and notched up 1-4 without reply in a seven minute purple patch. Sam McNamara registered Patrickswell’s opening point of the second half, but Ballybrown shocked the ‘Well with an immediate goal. In the middle of the second half, the visitors were six points ahead at 2-13 to 1-10. Patrickswell eroded the deficit with fresh points from Peter Harty and Sam McNamara, but a Ballybrown point cemented a five point lead of 2-14 to 1-12 with eight minutes left. The closing stages of the match were dominated by the home side, who were rewarded by a point and a marvellous goal from Sam McNamara. There was still five minutes left and the deficit was slashed to a point at 2-14 to 2-13. The Ballybrown defence held firm and a late point produced a 2-15 to 2-13 win for our neighbours.
JUNIOR B HURLERS: Patrickswell welcomed Castletown-Ballyagran in the West Junior B Hurling League. The opening exchanges were largely even and the teams were level at 0-3 apiece after ten minutes. Patrickswell were unsettled when the visitors capitalised on a mix-up to score a goal, but we stayed in contention and trailed at the first half water break by 1-4 to 0-5. Unfortunately, the game was ultimately decided as Castletown-Ballyagran plundered 2-5 without reply in a devastating ten-minute spell. Patrickswell rallied with two late points, but the scoreline was 3-10 to 0-7 in arrears at half-time.
The second half started badly for Patrickswell as Castletown-Ballyagran accumulated another four points without reply in five minutes. The ‘Well responded with two points, but these were eventually cancelled out by the 50th minute. The deficit was 3-16 to 0-9 with ten minutes left on the clock. Patrickswell scored a late consolation goal before Castletown-Ballyagran registered the final point of the match to win by 3-17 to 1-9.
CAMOGIE: Well done to Junior A ladies, who secured a 2-17 to 3-14 draw with Mungret in the league. Congratulations to Sophie Carey, Lucy Quinn-Rea, Rachel O’Grady, Caoimhe Hennessy, Kailey O’Donnell and Shannan Kennedy who represented Limerick U-14 girls against Cork. Elsewhere, Roisin O’Brien helped the Limerick U-15 camogie team to beat Tipperary U-16B.
CLUB LIMERICK DRAW: Congratulations to Bridget Mann, who scooped €1,000 in June’s Club Limerick Draw. July’s Club Limerick Draw will take place on Saturday July 31 during the Live 95FM Sports Programme between 10am and 11am. If you would like to renew or update your membership, please follow the link